Friday, January 23, 2009

Tossed About...

Good Evening Everyone,


Before I start, I want to thank those of you who have been following along with my blog. One can never be certain if other people even care what you have to say, but I have had some very nice comments and I am truly appreciative. So, thank you so much for checking in.

We have been busy. We have been fortunate lately. It appears that the number of attacks that we have had on our base have decreased, but over the last few weeks we have been rattled a few times. Let us hope this isn't a trend. Our ambulance platoon has been busy with patients coming in from the local villages. Unfortunately, some of the patients have been children. I don't mention military conflict much on this website as I have to be careful, but I am so proud of my staff and of our EMS soldiers and paramedics. They are doing such a great job and at the end of the day, no one will even know all that they have done. It is thankless work but our guys take great pride in what they do.


Well tonight I want to talk a little about Christian maturity. For many years, I have had a touch and go relationship with the Lord. I would fall into his presence and then fall away only to return back to a state of immature faith. I have found that constant communication with the Lord and the willingness to submit all things to Christ is what develops a true relationship with our Lord. It takes a great deal of committment to surrender all aspects of our lives issues to the Lord, but the joy that comes from the relationship with Christ far outweighs the effort.

In Ephesians 4:11-14 it says: 'It was He who gave some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.


I read this and am reminded of the man I used to be. Unstable in my faith. Allowing the smallest of temptations to take me out of the presence of God. How ashamed I am for allowing myself to be like that. Praise the Lord for His patience and guidance and love. We are all in danger of being tossed about and being overcome with fear due to lack of faith. When the disciples were literally being tossed about by angry waves, they became afraid and lost their faith and they were with Christ. But what was Christ doing? Sleeping peacefully. He was confident of the Lord's protection and power and so he had nothing to worry about. Waves could not toss Christ around. We are no better than Christ disciples and need to strengthen our relationship with Christ so that when temptations come, we can go to the One who can overcome the Devil.


It is my prayer for you that '...out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19)

I pray the Lord is blessing you.



Before I go, I want to show you a picture of Karis from Halloween. My wife just sent me this and I find it amusing. It looks as if she went as some oriental ninja princess. I am not sure that the ancient Japanese wore nylon lace leg warmers or whatever they are called but it looks as if she is ready for some superhero action. I am glad that she uses her superhero powers for good and not evil. She has a variety of Superhero powers. She can procrastinate homework, run late for school by trying to decide what outfit to wear, and of course the most powerful of super powers, she can roll her eyes. Is this exclusive to my daughter or do all daughters have these powers?
My wife is dressed up like a mother who has been trying to manage a nine year old on her own. It is a great costume. :0) Bless them both, they look great and I am so appreciative for my wife's ability to be both mom and dad to Karis. It has been rough but she is a strong woman and is really doing a great job. I owe her so much for her allowing me to do my job for the military and understanding the committment that soldiers have to eachother. I will be home soon and get back to my civilian job and hopefully return to a normal lifestyle.

Well, my friends, keep the faith and believe that the Lord is wanting to move in your life. We are so blessed to serve Christ who provides us with hope and direction and salvation. What more shall we desire?

God Bless you all,

Jeff

No comments: