Thursday, March 12, 2009

"How wonderful it is that nobody need to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."
Anne Frank
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few years ago I took Karen, Karis, and myself to Amsterdam Holland to visit the house that Anne Frank and her family lived in during their flight from the Nazi's. The house is a reminder of a sanctuary in dark places. In her diary, young Miss Frank put her thoughts down in writing. Her words are well articulated and to the point. She was living in times of persecution and fear. One would think that her thought would gravitate to the anger and hopelessness that often comes with those in similar situations. This was not the case for Anne. Her diary is full of quotes that revealed her heart. Despite living with death at her door, she remained optomistic. Her diary is filled with quotes like:

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."

"I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains"

"I simply cannot build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery and death...I think...peace and tranquillity will return again."

And

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be."

I thought about Anne Frank today and remember the day that we went through her house. I tried to imagine living for two years knowing that at any minute they could be discovered and their lives taken from them. I tremble when I think of my family being in a similar situation. Yet here was a young lady who had faith that the Lord knew what he was doing and that the world would one day be a better place. The first quote on this blog, Anne says that, 'no one needs to wait a single moment to help improve the world.'

I have to admit that I had a rough week this week. We have been so busy, we are all feeling a little on edge and I have had recent situations where I am reminded that my actions have caused harm to those that I cared for. I have spent a great deal of time wondering how to reconcile wrongs and yet the answers have not always been readily available. I realize that trying to fix things without Godly direction rarley works things out effectively. I am reminded of an old statement that goes..."If you want to make the Lord laugh, tell him your plans." I have, on so many occasions tried to do that which seemed right to me but failed to consult the Lord on my plans. I was reminded this week to listen to the still small voice that provides guidance. So, I accept that what has been cannot be undone, but despite this, good can start today. Praise the Lord that he has given us his Holy Spirit to guide our actions.

So, getting back to Miss Franks Diary; As I read Anne's statement, I was encouraged to understand that despite our sinful past we can no longer waste time thinking about that which we cannot change. We can start this day to improve the world by leaving those hurtful things in the past and utilizing every opportunity to make our world a better place to live.
The Gospel of Christ will only be shared by those who utilize the now to take the Word to those who are lost. It is our mission and the reason that our Lord created us.

Take sometime this week and read some of Anne Franks diary. You will be amazed and encouraged to service by this young preteenager. Her wisdom was years ahead of her time.

When you think of those things that Anne Frank wanted to do to make the world a better place but could not because of her hiding, we have to feel encouraged to carry on this special childs dream. Wake up today and ask the Lord to use you to change the world. To use you to be a blessing to someone today. Ask the Lord to guide your path and place you on the road to another journey. May the road rise up to meet you as you carry the Word to the world.

I hope you are all well and God Bless.

Jeff






No comments: